Thursday, March 31, 2005

disagreeing over division.

I have just begun reading Raimond Gaita's Quarterly Essay (from last year, I know) entitled, Breach of Trust: Truth, Morality and Politics.

On page 3 he makes the statement that;
“Australia is not a country where large numbers of people are politically and morally incomprehensible to one another.”
My impression is the opposite - I find the majority of Australia politically and morally incomprehenible. I do not get how a lot of Australia thinks. I have no idea how they can reach the political conclusions they have.*

The only way in which I can see Gaita's statement can be
true is that I am not a member of a large group of Australians. Which is both disturbing and reassuring at the same time.

Anyway, we will see what Gaita has to say on the matter...


* I often think about this question when in large groups of people, or on public transport. And it just makes me think, WTF?? It is quite likely that (notwithstanding selective bias) fifty per cent of the people in the room/train/tram/pub/workplace actively cast their vote last october in suppport of John Howard.

3 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I think I've mentioned before, it's unlikely that 50% of the people around you -- on the tram or whatever -- would have voted for Howard. You hang out in a Greens and Labour area.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger gringo said...

This is probably the fact in the pub, but not necessarily the case on the train and it is very unlikely to be the case in my workplace.

And whatever the numbers are, it still remains that I am surrounded by a significant amount of people who think in a manner that is entirely incongruous with my way of thinking — I am an (overdramatic) foreigner in my own my country.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice come-back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home