Friday, March 04, 2005

eagle.

This is my favourite bit of Canberra. This huge American eagle imperiously perched over our country's capital city, overseeing the running of our nation. It makes me laugh every time.


Australian-American Memorial, Dept of Defence, Canberra.

“A passionate attachment of one nation for another produces a variety of evils. Sympathy for the favourite nation facilitates the illusion of an imaginary common interest in cases where no real common interest exists, infuses into one the enmities of the other, and betrays the former into participation in the quarrels and wars of the latter without adequate inducement or justification.... It also gives to ambitious, corrupted, or deluded citizens, who devote themselves to the favourite nation, facility to betray or sacrifice the interests of their own country.”
(George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796 — I found the quote here)

4 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Gerry said...

That eagle makes you laugh? It makes me cry. Perfect use of the quote, I thought.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger gringo said...

I can totally understand wanting to cry, too.

The ridiculuousness of it all just gets me. We have this pretence of our own Defence Dept, but it is so prominently stamped with American imperialism. It is just so stupid.

The first time I went to Canberra I saw it, and Australia's foreign policy over the last 50 years just made so much more sense.

Maybe we should suggest to JWH that we put a massive concrete koala in the middle of the Pentagon?

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Gerry said...

Nah, we put The Big Merino out front of the Pentagon. After all, we're just sheep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home